Saturday, January 30, 2010

Felt Pancakes Tutorial

Mia asks me almost every day to make her more food, so finally this morning while she was watching Max and Ruby, I decided to make her pancakes. I love the way they turned out.
Materials You'll Need:
9x12 piece of beige felt
9x12 piece of brown felt
Scrap piece of cream felt for the butter
embroidery needle
brown, cream, and beige embroidery floss
circle stencil (I used a cd case, it was the perfect size!)

Ok, lets get started! First trace two circles onto your beige piece of felt like so.

Next cut out all your pieces. I didn't use a stencile for the syrup, I just started cutting and hoped it would look like syrup in the end, LOL. This way each pancake you make will look a little different which I like because real pancakes aren't exactly the same. You'll cut a square shape out of your cream piece the same size as butter.
I started hand embroidering the butter onto the syrup piece first. Start your stitch from the bottom and do a whip stitch all the way around. When you get to the end, tie a knot underneath. Repeat these steps when embroidering your syrup to your beige circle.
Once your syrup is embroidered on, you'll want to embroider the top of the pancake to the bottom of the pancake. I like to start my first stitch between both layers to hide the knot.
I did a blanket stitch all the way around, but you can also do a whip stitch if you prefer. When you're finished tie your knot on the bottom layer of the pancake.
All done! Mia liked serving this up with her felt fried eggs to Daddy this morning. Now I just need to get busy and make her more than one pancake! If you have ANY questions, please feel free to leave me a comment with your email address and I'll be sure to answer them :)

5 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

Gotta love the syrup patch and pad of butter.
=)

Angie - treasuresfortots@gmail.com said...

GIRL!! You did an AWESOME job!! They look delicious!! You keep coming up with some great felt foods!! I bet Mia is loving it!!

karen said...

I like pancakes too...

Expressions by Heather said...

Felt food is just awesome- I love this!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

Lenetta said...

I have a felt food obsession - I need to get busy making some!! I linked to this on my weekly roundup - thanks so much for sharing!