Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I miss her...

This morning Melba Miller, my Nana (great grandma)passed away at 99 years old.  I've loved her dearly my whole life.  She was one of the most wonderful people I've ever known.  The perfect example of love.  She had the most amazing ability to make anyone she came in contact with feel like the most loved, important person in the world.  I want to be just like her.  In her 90's she flew out to Hawaii for my college graduation. She never liked to miss a party!
She was the matriarch of our family and was loved by all of us.  She loved life, she never complained, and always knew how to laugh. I miss her...
Nana loved kisses.  I thank my friend Michelle for capturing this moment years ago. I've always loved it.
I feel so lucky to have had her in my life for so long.  I knew the day would eventually come, but you're never really prepared when it actually does.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to be with her in person, but I was able to say my goodbyes to her over the phone these past few days while my mom and aunt held the phone up to her ear.
One of my favorite things was that she would always put her hand on my cheek when I would sit with her. It always made me feel safe and loved by her.
What a beautiful legacy she left behind. To have 5 generations of women-Priceless!
She loved babies and small children and would have enjoyable tea parties with Mia.

When Mia was 2, I wanted a picture of all our our hands together (Nana's, grandmas, mom's, mine, and Mia's). Nana thought I was being silly-I'm SOOO glad I had this picture taken anyway.  I know this is my craft/business blog, but I just had to share a piece of what this beautiful woman means to me and how greatly she'll be missed.  I emailed those of you on the MJ back order list explaining another small delay due to me going to CA for her funeral.  I will be sure to work on them quickly when I return. Thanks for being so patient with me and for being so understanding. I appreciate it more than you could know.

5 comments:

Kyla Armstrong said...

((((HUGS)))) My heart goes out to you and your family. I lost my Grandpa a week and a half ago, so I empathize with your loss. It's awesome you have wonderful memories of her. She sounds fabulous!

Thurston Fam said...

99, wow, what an amazing woman . and man, you got some priceless pics. 5 generations; that is so special. I love the hands pic. She sounds like she was an amazing woman. xoxoxo

Susan Anderson said...

I was so sorry to read about your grandma on your mom's blog. Clearly, she has been an amazing person in all of your lives.

That five-generation photo is a treasure. And the hands picture is sheer genius. What a wonderful keepsake to have of your amazing grandma.

Perfect.

Sending hugs and prayers...

=)

Mama Pea said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Katie. I've been missing my grandmas a lot lately. I lost them about 15-20 years ago. I know how you're feeling. It's so wonderful you had her in your life for so long. Hugs to you.

K+C=M+K said...

I'm sorry Katie:( But what a wonderful life she lived! And how proud she must have felt with her legacy that wouldn't have been possible without her! I loved reading that post and seeing the pictures and LOVED the hand photo of 5 generations! How neat is that?! I have already lost ALL of my grandparents, let alone great grandparents. That was special, thanks for sharing:)